Re: [ST] Rallye to the Rallye

At 09:43 AM 5/4/01 -0400, Eric Drayer wrote:
>a route from NYC through Harrisburg, PA to the top of Skyline Drive to the
>Blue Ridge Parkway to the Pisgah Inn.  DeLorne computes it to be about 21
>hours in a cage, depending on enforcement density should be about 1/2 on an
>ST.  Anybody interested?  Will probably leave NYC area sometime the previous
>Wednesday.

Last time I ran from Front Royal to Asheville, it took me about 11-12 hours
with a few breaks and a reasonable pace for a motorcycle. The only problem
with doing it in a single day is that the twisties will take a lot out of
you. Skyline will be lots of fun because you will hit that in the morning,
while you are fresh. But then you hit the Virginia plains and things get
real boring - plus you loose the elevation so your getting beat up by the
heat. In the afternoon you get back up into the mountains, but now you are
dealing with fatigue. If it is running into the evening, you then have to
deal with the darkness (those that came in late last year on Saturday will
know exactly what I am talking about..). I've run it three times that way
and each time I vow that I will never again attempt it in one day... (yeah,
I have a thick head).

Not trying to put you off the idea - just don't want people having problems
while trying to get to the Rallye - they'll need their strength for the
roads that I have picked out....

- -Eric