Re: [ST] Harly and rest of the world

Personally, I wave to EVERYONE that goes by me.  I'm almost always the
initiator of the wave as well, being a very outgoinbg person.

In my 13 years of street riding, I'd say 85% of riders that ride bikes other
than Harleys wave back.  On the other hand, about 35% harley riders wave
back to me.

I do find it fustrating trying to have a decent conversation with Harley
riders sometimes.  One recent discussion I had win one went like this:

HR: "Who's piece of s**t Yamaha is that outside?"
me: "That's my bike.  What's wrong with it?"

HR: "That's a piece of jap crap.  Those f**king rice rockets suck.  Why
don't you ride a REAL bike?"
me: "Well, I like liquid cooling, performance, light weight, and good
handling.  Why can't you just respect that?"

HR: "It'a not a Harley - its a piece of s**t!:

Then I just gave up...  people like that will never get it, but others are
just the opposite.

Last week, before I got rid of my 01' R1, I took a friend for a ride to an
ice cream place.  When we got there, I saw about 1/3 of the parking lot full
of Harleys.  Did it scare me?  HELL NO.  I pulled in, and parked next to
them.

A few of their children ran over to me and said "Cool bike!".  I asked one
of them "Does your Dad ride bikes?".  The child responded "My Dad is a
Harley guy.  I think they stink, and I like your bike better than his."

After this, the father came over to me as I was laughing to myself. :)   He
asked me if I like the R1, and I told him I thought it was a great bike, but
a little too uncomfortable for me.  After we talked ror a few minutes, he
said he used to ride Sportbikes, but they didn't carry passengers well (i.e.
his kids), which is why he went to a cruiser.  The guy also told me he liked
my bike, and went back over to his friends.  He turned out to be a cool
dude.

I'm just venting a bit to show that Harley riders are people too, and SOME
are nice!

I've met some pretty cool Harley guys who have told me that they have 2
bikes, a rice rocket and a Harley.  As one friend put it to me "When I want
to have fun, I ride the Ninja.  When I want to cruise with the guys, I ride
the HOG."  I like sportbikes over cruisers, but if a fellow motorcyclist
rides both, that's the best!

Now that I have a Triumph, I won't have to hear anymore comments about
riding a 'rice rocket', but I never let that bother me before.  It's too bad
that some people have to be jerks to stereotype a rider because of his
choice of brand, and country of origin.  If its got 2 wheels, an engine, and
a tranny, it's a bike as far as I'm concerned!  We should be getting along
and help promote motorcycling in a positive manner, as many on this list do.

Call me a dreamer, but it can happen...

Scott