[ST] Harley Riders

I live on Long island, in New York. It seems to me that the vast majority of
bikes I see on the roads around me are late model Harleys. Knowing many
riders and speaking to others , I feel a large portion of there people are
neither hard-core "bikers" or avid "motorcyclists. They are just people who
have reached a point in life where they have enough disposable income to buy
a nice toy, and Harley has gotten the marketing right. They don't promote
their bikes as much as they promote a 'lifestyle'. More than half their
showrooms are dedicated to clothes, accessories and other items. This is
appealing to many people who are not interested in traveling 600 miles a day
of have pretensions of being the next Ben Bostrom. They just want to go out
and ride for a couple of hours on a nice Sunday afternoon.  The Harleys have
the right look and the right sound and the right seat-height for doing just
that.
I find most of these people wave at me whether I'm riding my RS of my BMW
(actually I pass so many of them that it is getting tiring). Most of these
people have no preconceived opinions on Jap, Brit, Italian, German or any
other bikes, they just bought what they wanted and are having a great time.

Jim