[ST] Lover of all Bikes

I recall a posting asking about whether original Triumph owners bought
Hinckley Triumphs because of their old ties. I have always loved Triumph
twins and ran a TR6R until recently but it is
hard to keep them reliable enough for long trips. Oil is massacred by the
engines and you need a good pump and filter modification and electronic
ignition for even moderate
touring use. My particular favourite all time is the 1971 Daytona 500 which
is light, smooth, as fast in practice as the single carb 650 of the same
era. But
in modern terms will not fit the bill for keeping up with motorway or even
fast A road traffic for long stints. I still would love to have another if I
had the time to look after it as I would want it. Numb bum plays a part as
well.

Has it influenced my decision to get a new Triumph? I do not believe so. The
bike has character which few other modern bikes do but it is a different
concept from a modern company. One test could be to see if I really would
buy a new Bonnie instead. I would not. I would like to have the choice when
I go out to the garage on a nice sunny Sunday afternoon but not as an
alternative.

Finally I have an Arai Quantum F which is by far the best helmet I have ever
worn. The only slight draw back is the visor fitting system which works well
but always feels as if something is going to break when I refit the visor
into the fixings.

Dave