Re: [ST] Bench Dawg bends buddy's bike, bruises body

On Tue, 8 May 2001, Lisa Borgfeld White wrote:

> OUCH!!  We had an end table fly out of  a truck at us in New Mexico, and
> in Colorado, a dog fell  off a flat bed truck in front of me.  I always
> try to avoid any truck/car that has anything remotely loose in it, but
> unfortunately, sometimes you can't get out of the way quick enough :-(!

Yup, from what I saw there where at least two objects in the bucket,
a trowel and something else. I think what Bill might have seen on
the right was the trowel, but he can only slightly remember an object
or two. Of course I can remember being somewhat impressed as even
the top of the trowel was clean. To add a bit more detail to what
Bill said, there was also about a 8-10" tall concrete curb about
1-2' to the left of where he was, so swerving further to the left
would have been just as bad if not worse. As well if he tangled
with the square grown or what I think might have been a corner or
triangle trowel it may have punctured the tire or worse.

Anyway, I thought he had missed the bucket, but a ironic gust of
wind placed it perfectly in the middle of his wheel. Then I saw the
plastic start to dig in, causing a bit of smoke. All I could think
is 'Stay off the brake, the wheel is still rotating, just stay off
the brake coast her down', then all of a sudden a large puff of
smoke from the front wheel, and the bike when down like a stunt
mans air cannon was attached to the bottom of the front wheel. I
could not believe how fast it happened. You also have to remember
that everything happened in slow motion, as you would expect, so
when you head Bill talk about the hit his hip shoulder and helmet
took, he is being conservative. I don't know how he could of hit
harder.

> First, let us know how your visit to the doctor turns out.  Richard was
> on Vicodin for his shoulder pain, and after the surgery, he was on
> Vicodin ES.  Talk about some strong stuff, and he was taking 2 of those
> every 4 hours!!  I'm glad your safety gear worked.  It's replaceable;
> you're not!!

druuuggggs.

> > Oh, the bike.  Might be a write-off.  Possibly frame is twisted (rear
> > sub-frame).  :-(  All right-side body work abraided, and all metal bits.
> > Muffler is mangled, ripped open at leading edge.  Rear brake lever snapped
> > off.  Bar-end weight, mirror, etc.
>
> I'm sorry this had to happen to you and to Thomas' bike, but I am sure
> Thomas would agree that you are more important that the bike.  There is
> a reason you both had insurance.  Metal and plastic are replaceable!!

Got a call from the dealership, and he said 3k to fix, if the engine
is hurt it will be 5k. I am going to want Bill and or others in
the area to also look at the bike when the repairs are done to
ensure it is right.

Here is a list of what I saw:

rear part of front fender
left handle bar
handle bar end
front brake lever
upper, middle and lower front right fairing
at least middle fairing stay
clutch/right engine cover
rear brake pedal
at least right pedal feeler
muffler
muffler/passenger peg bracket
passenger peg
rear mud flap

possibly:
twisted rear sub frame
twisted swing arm
scratched rear rim.

If the bike gets repair I will pay the difference for the sport
carbon can.

As far as the accident interfering with Bill's and my friendship,
how could it. First of all, Bill did not do anything wrong, so how
could I get mad. Secondly he is doing everything in his power to
ensure that the bike will be made right. Partially because he is
about 1100 miles closer to the situation, and partially because
that is just what friends do.

Am I mad because my bike is no longer a virgin, hell yes, am I mad
at Bill, nope.  Am I mad at the workers because they did not secure
their cargo in the back of their truck, hell yes. Am I mad because
they could of hurt a good friend a lot more than what they did,
well on that one I will stop talking, 'cause this is a family list
after all.

The pictures are in rough form at

http://staff.qnx.com/~thomas/trip

and I will make a proper page for them with thumbnails tonight.

Thanks for all the thoughts, 2 of the lists I participate on, the
ZX and the ST/RS list, are true families.

Tom

Thomas Emberson  <Thomas@xxxxxxx>        http://get.qnx.com
QNX Software Systems Inc.
5100 Tennyson Parkway, Suite 1000, Plano, TX, 75024
V: 214-495-5665  F: 214-495-5664