Re: [ST] Bench Dawg bends buddy's bike, bruises body

"Erik Miner" <Axeis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Ouch... Sorry Bill. And more sorry that it was Tom's bike, man that's
> gotta hurt.. At least you are pretty much OK and you should be healed
> up in time for the Rallye.. Oh and Vicodan WILL make you constipated
> .. so try and eat right :-)

I was (am) pretty upset that I did this to my friend's bike.  As you say, at
least I'm OK ... more or less.  I'll keep your advice re. Vicodin in mind.

> So gear questions huh?? Well you'll
> have some time to think so here's what I suggest. Best venting most
> comfortable lids that have completely removable liners, etc are :
> Arai RX7-RR4, Shoei XSP-II, Shoei Z-II, Shoei X-Tec. ( not sure about
> the RF-900 but I doubt it)

Not sure if I have a Shoei head or an Arai head.  I've been wearing HJC.  In
a few weeks we are going to Daytona for a weekend to visit with my brother
when he's in town.  I'll take a trip to The Helmet Shop when there
(http://www.helmetshop.com).

> Someone was commenting on the Shuberth Concept. I bought
> one. Had it a week and sold it. It is the best Flip Face but it's
> noisier than a normal full face, heavier, and doesn't vent as well as
> My RX-7RR4, and of course it is never going to be as crash worthy.

Too bad.  I read the recent Rider mag review.  Sounded interesting.

> It's also more of an Arai Quantum shape (more round oval) so if you
> are a Shoei head
>   long oval) it won't be a great fit, and frankly it wasn't even 50%
> as comfy as my Arai.

Hmmm ...

> As for riding apparel: Yes perforated leather is nice except when it
> gets chilly or it rains. Problem when it rains is that if it's
> warm/hot out you got to put on rain gear.. then you'll be really
> toasty!!

If it is chilly or a cool rain, my nice new Triumph rain suit will help.
But in a warm rain you are right; it is like a sauna!

> I'll go out on a limb here and say that I feel if you can
> own only one riding suit that overall the most versatile, well made,
> and crash worthy is an Aerostich Darrien suit. FYI, Aerostich does
> make a "Light" version of the Darrien, lighter material, less
> abrasion resistance. I want to add that there are better jackets
> /pants for specific conditions.. Vanson Perf for HOT, or a full one
> piece set of leathers for track or a real nice Dainese
> Cordura/Goretex jacket and pants with thermal liners for cold and
> wet. But again if you want to get ONE suit that gets as close as
> possible as covering all riding situations a Darrien is hard to beat.

I'm not sure what I'll be able to afford.  Ultimately I think I'll end up
with 2 riding suits: one selected for Florida summer riding and one for the
rest of the year.  Plus the rain suit I already have.  A Darrien or Darrien
Light might be right for the non-summer suit.  Perfed leather pants and that
slick looking Spidi Net jacket for summer sounds good.

But, as you say earlier, I've time to think about it.

> Boots .. Prexport has a new waterproof boot with killer armor and
> vents!!  , Dainese makes really nice boots, Sidi, Alpinstars all make
> great boots. For me good motorcycle boots have to be waterproof,
> comfortable and have good protection.

Haven't even begun to think about boots.  But I'll save your message for
later.

> Did you ask about Gloves? Well I'll tell ya' ,  Held Gloves, they are
> simply the best, and I've had a lot of gloves :-)  A lot of gloves!

I've been really happy with my old Olypia Gelpad perforated gloves.  They
protected me thru 2 crashes and almost 2 years of riding.  I'm replacing
them with the same.

> HTH, feel better :-)

Yes, it helps.  And drugs plus a 2-hour nap left me feeling much better.
Thanks.

- --
Bill "Bench Dawg" Flowers
Clearwater FL
'00 Sapphire Blue Triumph Sprint ST "Jewel"