Re: [ST] broken exhaust header

original message<<<

Paul wrote:
>I was putting the Penske shock back on last after it's winter rebuild and
>while putting the bottom bolt on noticed the exhaust header was cracked by
>the rear mount. Aaaaaaaaahhhhh.....the warranty ran out a month ago! Well I
>took it to a local dealer who thinks that he may be able to get it repaired
>(welded). Just be sure to take a close look at yours before the warranty
>runs out, I'm sure this won't be cheap to replace.

Paul,

How bizarre!  I just got back from the Dealer (RPM)  because I thought I
heard excessive valve train noise.  Turns out to be a crack in the header,
same place.  We did a little investigation and the clamp that holds the can
on to the header was situated such that the bolt flange interfered with the
center-stand hitting the rubber bumper.  This causes the center-stand to
bounce off the clamp while going down the road.  We surmised this caused the
crack.  Ya'll check that clamp now, ya'ear.

STeve Duncan
Underdawg
2K -ST (Betty)
Dallas, TX