Re: [ST] Helmets

As for head shape that's easy just look in the mirror. Is your head
round like a pumpkin  (like mine :-)  or more long and pointy  , not
your face but skull??  As for fit yes that is the most important
issue the better the fit the better the protection. I'm lucky in that
I am a perfect Medium in an Arai. I can wear mine 20 hours and no
discomfort. There is just somthing about the type of padding Arai
uses, for me nothing else is even close, most people I know that try
an Arai ( the right shape) buy one! As for HJC I've tried them on
they make a nice bargin lid.. Not an Arai or Shoei but a good solid
helmet, FWIW I bought my son one.

As for custom painting it's not cheap and you REALLY REALLY want
someone to do it that knows what they are doing. It is very important
that the right kind of paint is used so as not to damage the shell,
and that they know how to take it apart and put it back together so
as not to damage the liner. I wouldn't trust someone who doesn't do
helmets for a living.  Figure the cost of a custom paint job is
anywhere from $150.00 and UP and I mean up.. I've seen prices of a
Troy Lee painted lid at $700.00!!!! On that note I just had my new
Arai painted. The guy that did mine does most of the custom lids for
Arai America.. he knows what he's doing :-)   FYI I got my new RX 7
painted like an Arai model Squadra Black/Grey.. I always loved the
designed except that Arai only offers this design on the Signets.. So
I have the only RX7-RR4 Black Squadra.. and it looks sharp!  In fact
it looks so good no one has even noticed that it's not factory!!!

Erik