Re: [ST] broken exhaust header

original message

> >> My 1999 ST did the exact same thing at 32,000 miles.
> > > Really push to get Triumph to pay for this as the headers cost approx
>£400
> >
> >okay, i've finally gotta ask.  has anyone seen this on an RS?  is this
> >something that can be inspected relatively easily?
>
>So far it seems to be only affecting 1999 ST's, and possibly only early
>ones at that.

Nope, not just 1999's.

I have a 2000 ST with the crack just discovered yesterday.  It appears to be
caused by the centerstand hitting the flange on the clamp holding the
Muffler to the header.  This occurs when you rotate the can to the downward
position to mount the Panniers.  The rotation of the Can rotates the clamp
causing it to interfere with the centerstand.  There is a small rubber pad
on a frame mounted bracket under center of the bike.  This where the
centerstand should rest when in the up position.  The rotation of the Can
clamp interferes with this.  So the header takes a pounding from the
centerstand when traveling down a (bumpy) road.

STeve Duncan
Underdawg
2K -ST (Betty)
Dallas, TX