Re: [ST] Report on Michelin Pilot Sports on the RS

Jan and Don Draper wrote:

> As predicted, these sportier tires got lower mileage
> than the stock BT020s.  (3,500 miles compared to
> 5,000 miles for the BT020.)

Yowsers! I have 6K miles on mine, and I could probably get another 1K or
2K out of them if I wanted. Since my ST's ready for the 12K mile
service, though, I'll just pop a couple of fresh buns on now.

They're certainly wearing faster than the stock Bridgestones, but I'm
happy as long as I can get 6K out of them. They grip a heck of a lot
better than the Bridgestones in both the dry and the wet.

I'll echo your comments about them having a tendency to stand up in the
corners, though. I haven't played with the tire pressures, but I may
have been running much higher pressures than I thought. I was using a
digital tire pressure gauge, but when the non-replaceable battery in it
died I started using my AccuGage and discovered the pressures read 6 PSI
higher with the AccuGage. (!) So, instead of 36/42 (F/R) I may have been
running 42/48. (I guess that's one way to get better mileage out of my
tires?:-)

Of course, I don't know if the digital gauge was wrong or if my AccuGage
is wrong. Fortunately for me, Griot's Garage has a nifty digital gauge
in the same form factor as the AccuGage and that is precise to a tenth
of a pound. Even though I doubt it'll be accurate to a tenth, I'll be
curious to see what it says.

- --
Blake "Dawgbert" Sobiloff <sobiloff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Burlingame, CA, USA