Re: [ST] Front wheel removal, round 2

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Keith Winter" <kwinter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> ...a 19mm hex head tool.
- ----------

Hey Keith,

I just posted the following in a VW forum for somebody looking for a 17mm
allen driver for a trans drain plug.

I recently needed a 19mm allen driver for my motorcycle. I couldn't find one
anywhere (of course I didn't look in the tool set that came with the bike),
so I ended up going to Pep Boys and:
- -Went to the tool section
- -Got a 19mm socket off the rack.
- -Went to the hardware section.
- -Picked out a bolt with a head that fit the socket.
- -Picked out two nuts that fit the bolt.
- -Put the socket back.
- -Paid about $2 and went home.
- -Tightened the two nuts against each other on the threads of the bolt (very
tight, but with the flats lined up so that I could slip a 12 point socket
over both of them).
- -Stuck head of bolt into the hex of the allen bolt, put ratchet on nuts, and
turned.
- -Removed big-ass allen bolt (front axle, actually).

Hopefully, the torque needed to remove the drain plug will be less than the
torque needed to break the nuts loose on the bolt.

Of course, you'll need to get a 17mm socket and not a 19mm. While you're
there in the tool section you might as well check for a 17mm wrench or
driver. They might just have it. It's where I got a T55 Torx driver that
nobody else had.

BTW, this method bailed me out once before when I needed a 12mm allen to
twist in some rear caliper pistons.

- -Chris
<<<<<<