[ST] Triumph scooter

Triumph made two scooters: the Tigress with a four-stroke twin-cylinder
engine of around 250cc IIRC, and the Tina/T10 with 100cc single cylinder
two stroke and fully automatic  (CVT) transmission. Both were dogs (not
Dawgs...)

The Tigress had good performance but tended to overheat if contemporary
reports are to be believed. Production ceased in October 1964.

The Tina and T10 (essentially the same machine) were a disaster. There was
no neutral position in the tranny, so to stop the thing taking off on its
own, there was a switch (under the seat on the T10 and on the dash on the
Tina -- or maybe the other way round) that limited the engine revs. The
system was prone to rider error... The tranny also had a habit of locking
up if abused, and as there was no neutral, the little sod couldn't even be
pushed anywhere. The only remedy was to hoist it off the road.

When I was in high/grammar school back in the UK, I remember spending a
whole day trying to get one running. It belonged to one of my co-students,
a rather cute lass IIRC. She was rather attached to it, otherwise I would
have dumped it in the river...

A UK "D" registration would be for 1966. It could be a leftover Tigress or
a T10. No way of telling without further scrutiny. The Birt-iron list
(www.brit-iron.org) would probably be able to supply more info.

Robert Smith--Freelance Writer
Vancouver, BC
www.smith.bc.ca