[ST] Re: st-digest V2001 #285

Nick wrote:

> Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 13:33:39 -0400
> From: "Nowak, Nick" <n.nowak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: RE [ST] topbox: triumph or givi?
>
> I was wonderring the same thing.  Also, does the adapeter plate just bolt
> right on top of the rack, or do you remove the original top plate on the
> rack and swap it with the Givi unit?  Another option for a topcase that I
> saw was from Nonfango www.nonfango.it.  Does anyone know if these boxes use
> the same mount as Givi (it looks like it from the pictures)?  I would be
> interested in any info, prices, or experiences with these boxes as they have
> much more style than the comparable Givis.
>
> Thanks, Nick "the dirtbag"
> '00 yellow RS
>
> Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 23:44:17 -0500
> From: Brd <brd@xxxxxxx>
> Subject: [ST] topbox: triumph or givi?

The Givi adapter plate is nothing more than a plate that bolts to the Triumph luggage rack
using two allen bolts and a plate underneath.  Nothing high tech at all, but it works well and
looks OK.  With the plate, any Givi box will latch on, using their system.   As for the box, I
used a 52 L topbox on my recent round trip to Florida from NY (about 2,700 miles round trip). I
had my son on back, and we were fully loaded along with the panniers.   It worked fine, and was
stable in cross winds, once I remembered to stop and jack up the rear preload 4-5 turns after
being blown all around on the softer settings.  The only I found though was that when he leaned
back against the box to relax, it felt like the bike was on hinges, as the weight way to the
rear was no good.  Whenever we passed trucks and such, he would have to lean forward to link
his weight with mine, and handling would be fine, but when he leaned back on his own, handling
would become quite "interesting" in crosswinds at 80 mph.  The Givi topbox itself was fine
though, with no turbulence.  If you are going to go through the pain of having a topbox at all,
it might as well be a big one, and the 52 L holds two full face helmets, not that you need 4
helmets at once.  BTW, did I mention that the seat was really painfull after several days on
the road?

Rick Hartwick
00 Red ST

PS

Installing the Triumph rack is a bit of a PIA.  However, the instructions are correct, although
doing it the first time can be confusing.