Re: [ST] RE: (ST) PIAA Light Installation

On Fri, 18 May 2001, Martin Fay wrote:

> 3) Does polarity matter?
>      Don't think so but I preserved it anyway.

Generally speaking with automobile incadenscent lights I would not
be overly worried. But I as well always maintain polarity. For the
simple reason that if you open up 1/2 the auxiliary lights out
there the only wire that is adequately shielded is the hot. So if
you do swap the polarity and the (was) ground of the light touches
the case (bike ground) you could short out the system.

As well if someone does work on you bike, particular the lights,
they will expect the polarity to be correct.

Better to be safe than sorry, as of yet I don't know of anyone that
has died from 12v. Just make sure you have the appropriate fuse
directly in-line with the lights and only the lights.

t.

Thomas Emberson  <Thomas@xxxxxxx>        http://get.qnx.com
QNX Software Systems Inc.
5100 Tennyson Parkway, Suite 1000, Plano, TX, 75024
V: 214-495-5665  F: 214-495-5664