Re: [ST] ECU Memory During Shutoff

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Rich Hartwick" <hartwick@xxxxxxx>

> My question is, how does the ECU unit in the  Triumph
> actually work? That is, does it "learn" and modify engine
> parameters over time like the more modern car units, or is
> it totally dumb, in that it always runs the fuel map in its
> memory, regardless.  In line with this question, is it poor
> practice to use the red emergency switch for shutoff on the
> ST (or any similar fuel injection engine), in that it might
> cause the ECU to loose its mind, so to speak.  If it does
> loose any information, how long does it take to "relearn"
> the correct timing and settings off of the baseline values?
> I know I have seen some mention of problems with the engine
> light coming on after shutting down with the red switch.  Is
> this a definite no no, or is it largely irrelevant?

Rick,

I can't speak about other makes and models (although I believe this applies
to all current Triumph fuel injected models), but the ECU on the ST reads
certain sensors AFTER you power off using the key (in fact if you listen
carefully you will hear a relay click a few seconds after the key is turned
off).  For this bike the kill switch is for emergency use only.  If you use
the kill switch to stop the engine the ECU does not get a chance to take
these readings the bike will have to re-learn some settings and you will
probabaly notice the difference for awhile.  In fact, I think it will even
effect the way the bike starts the next time because one of the things that
is noted is the crank position.  I don't think it will take a long time to
right itself however.  The only problem (at least for me) is that since I am
not in the habit of using my kill swich at all, I sometimes forget to check
it when I go to ride a different bike (a bit embarassing).

Neil