new st, what does dealer tell you?(Re: [ST] ECU Memory During Shutoff)

On Sat, May 19, 2001 at 07:35:50PM -0700, LaPoint wrote:
> > For this bike the kill switch is for emergency use only.  If you use
> > the kill switch to stop the engine the ECU does not get a chance to
> > take these readings the bike will have to re-learn some settings
> > and you will probabaly notice the difference for awhile.  In fact,
> > I think it will even effect the way the bike starts the next time
> > because one of the things that is noted is the crank position

This is interesting.  I'm used to using the kill switch from the MSF
class.  Probably take some time to break that habit.

> I'm not sure how this applies but one of the things my dealer
> cautioned me about was using the kill switch and running out of gas.
> He said that if I ran out of gas it would confuse the ECU and that
> prior to trying to restart the bike I should turn the key on and off
> several time, leaving it on for 5-6 seconds each time.  He stated
> that this would help the ECU recalibrate and would help to eliminate
> any serious starting or initial running problems. He did caution that
> there might be some initial problems in performance and that it would
> be smart to ride it for about 5 minutes, stop and start again.  You
> guys probably know all this!!  ///Jim

This is also interesting, and I'm making note of it.  So, having just
bought a used ST from an individual, what are some other things the
dealer warns you of, and why aren't these things in the owner's manual?

The only one I have heard is, if you drop the bike on its left side
and it's still running for any length of time, DON'T try to restart it
right after picking it up.  Oil is apparently pumped up into the top of
the engine in the #1 cyl when the bike's on its side and running.  If
you try to restart it right away, the oil in the top of the cylinder
will cause hydraulic lock.  Once you right the bike, you're supposed to
let it sit for 5-10 mins or so, for the oil to seep back down past the
rings.

Laters,
Brian