[ST] Update on header

First, if you have occasion to handle one of these you will find Triumph was
paying attention to weight in this design.  I got the header back Friday and
installed it yesterday. It cost $153 to get it welded. The guy did a pretty
nice job, he tried to strengthen the area where the mounting bracket is
attached to the header pipe. One thing I did note when I put it back
together. After securing the cylinder head connections, I found that the
bottom mount was not lined up perfectly so I had to 'pry' the pipe slightly
to get the bottom bolt in. While out on a test ride afterwards I started
thinking about that. I decided that even though the bottom mount contains a
rubber bush, this was still an area that could cause a problem. The header
is VERY secure with the head bolts torqued. I suspect engine vibration could
cause the crack in this area if the tolerances were like mine after the
repair. I came home and got rid of the problem. Maybe just welding it again
created a slight alignment problem, I don't know. I will say that the
tolerances here are very tight and I can see lots of opportunity for
problems. If you assembled everything prior to securing the nuts at the head
you would never know how much stress you are putting on the bottom mount and
pipe.

Paul & Dee
Madd Dawg & Dinky Dawg
1999 Triumph Sprint ST