[ST] Re: st-digest V2001 #312

On Monday, May 28, 2001, at 11:55 AM, st-digest wrote:

> Hey Jeff-How much of a deposit and what are they giving as MSRP. As a
> long time MINI fan (4 in the family and Austin America as first car) I'm
> really interested. After finding mini.com last year, site has never been
> updated. Thought perhaps the whole thing had stalled with BMW's sale of
> Rover.  The only thing that scrares me is that as a BMW owner, it's
> pretty common knowledge that you don't want to buy anything in the first
> year of production. I don't know if I can wait though.

The local dealer wants $1k down as a deposit to get on the waiting list,
said they were allready near filled up on as many pre-orders as they are
allowed to take.  MSRP right now for the two mini's, the Mini and Mini
Cooper (S - sport version), will be between $18k and $23k respectively
with lots of optional packages to make the range.  According to the
website, some of the options they plan on offering is a mega-sound
system with Harmon Kardon components, sunroof, navigation system, abs
brakes, tire pressure indicator, multifunction steering wheel, and so
on....

According to some of the reports I've seen in mags, the car is allready
in production and is the hottest thing in recent memory in the UK as far
as pre-orders are going.  It's being described as the safest small car
ever made too.

The sport version, which is what I want, is supposed to be quite a
little pocket rocket too, with 0-60 speeds around 5 seconds or lower.