Converting front light configuration

My apologies for repetition, as I know this was a recent topic, but I
entered the ST list too late to follow it properly. If the majority of my
questions below are answered by a past message, please send it to me and
accept my apologies for time wasting.

My ST has the (left hand drive) Australia head lamp configuration, i.e.
left head light for dipped, right head light for main beam. Middle 'eye'
on for side, dipped and main beam. I can't see the point in this myself
(why have two headlights and only use one?), IMHO I think it looks daft
and certainly when *I'm* behind 4 wheels I always seem to notice twin
headlamp bikes more than single headlamp bikes. So, I'd like to get both
lights working for dipped and main beam and retain the 'eye'. My dealer
told me during a very brief conversation on the subject that, although it
is harder on the 00-01 models, they can alter the configuration. However,
before asking him to do so, I'd like to ask a few questions:

1. Why do Triumph (Triumph Australia?) have the lights set this way?
Twisted aesthetics? Or is there a battery/alternator limitation issue  here?

2. Is there a significant increase in actual night time road
illumination/vision when using dipped and/or main beam twin headlights?

3. Presumably, its not just a case of changing the relay switches? Do both
bulbs have to be changed to dipped/main beam types? Do one or both
headlight glasses have to be changed because at the moment it appears that
the left is 'shaded' (can't think of a better word) for dipped and the
right for main beam, i.e. even if you put dipped/main beam bulbs in both
and changed the relay/switching you'd still not have proper dipped/main
beam without changing the glass?

4. What does all this cost?

Thanks

Barry