[ST] Re: st-digest V2001 #313

>From: "Barry Evans" <barryevans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Converting front light configuration
>
>1. Why do Triumph (Triumph Australia?) have the lights set this way?
>Twisted aesthetics? Or is there a battery/alternator limitation issue  here?
>
>2. Is there a significant increase in actual night time road
>illumination/vision when using dipped and/or main beam twin headlights?
>
>3. Presumably, its not just a case of changing the relay switches? Do both
>bulbs have to be changed to dipped/main beam types? Do one or both
>headlight glasses have to be changed because at the moment it appears that
>the left is 'shaded' (can't think of a better word) for dipped and the
>right for main beam, i.e. even if you put dipped/main beam bulbs in both
>and changed the relay/switching you'd still not have proper dipped/main
>beam without changing the glass?
>
>4. What does all this cost?
>
>Thanks
>
>Barry
>Australia
>MMI ST BRG 0.5K km

Barry,

1: Triumph now ship them this way. This is due to a new Euro regulation preventing bikes having twin headlights
because dumb cage drivers can mistake a motorcycle with 2 separate headlights for a car that is much further away.

2: Double the light with both on.

3: There are 2 empty relay sockets beside the right headlight. 1 is for low, 1 for high. Just add a relay to the appropriate socket to get the second to work. No globes or lenses need to be changed.

4: Just use a normal horn/headlight relay. $7 each if you shop around. They will be significantly dearer if you buy the genuine part. I recall the RS may need a special relay with a diode, but my ST didnt.

I have a 2000 ST, I dont think the lights changed for the 2001. I run both high beams but still just 1 low beam (maybe it is safer ? it looks 'cool' during the day, plus wont load the battery as much at idle). I carry a 2nd relay fit it if I am in the country at night time.

Darren Mason.
2000 ST.
Melbourne, Australia.