[ST] Re: Converting front light configuration

> I can't see the point in this
> Why do Triumph have the lights set this way
> is there a battery/alternator limitation issue  here?
> Is there a significant increase in actual night time road illumination
> its not just a case of changing the relay switches?
> Do both bulbs have to be changed to dipped/main
> Do one or both headlight glasses have to be changed
> What does all this cost?

Phew, lotsa questions! The 'point' is EC legislation, some eurocrat having
decided that 2 close-together lights looks like a car at a greater distance
to poor stupid half-blind cagers. Either you have to put both under one
continuous piece of plastic now (like the new Daytona) or you can have only
one at a time working. Officially. I've had mine on both sides day and night
since almost new and the alternator/battery are coping fine. Yes of course
it's better at night. The beam pattern has a slight dark 'hole' in it, but
so slight I haven't bothered to adjust it out. On my (2000 UK-spec) RS it
was just 2 new relays needed, nothing more. The bulbs in it were already
dip/main type. No glasses had to be changed and the beams were already set
right. Cost about £25 (pounds). If the 2001 is different it looks the same
to me - in fact I had a chat with a guy on one recently and I couldn't see
anything changed from my bike. I bet someone on this list knows better
though ;-)

Barry