Re: [ST] RE: Psycho-World's 10 Best

At 01:19 PM 5/31/01 -0400, Erik Miner wrote:
>I spent about a hour sitting on and crawling all over the Futura's at the
>Cycle World show in Philly this past winter. I think the bike is very cool.

I agree

>  It's got some nice features and I like the styling, yes it's different,
> is that a bad thing??

Not by me

>The only thing that would keep me from buying a Futura is the reports that
>the motor isn't real smooth. I wouldn't trade the smoothness and torque of
>the triple for a less smooth V-twin.

That was one of the points that surprised me with the CW award. Their first
review talks of a low rpm stumble that almost caused them to dump the bike
when trying to low speed maneuver the bike (another journalist actually did).

>As for suspension, that's the one area that I feel Triumph ought to step up.

Agree with you here.

>In fact when they do a new ST, Triumph had better be wide awake as to what
>the market is doing, they could do so much more to the ST, Daytona motor,
>fully adjustable cartridge front forks, it would be THE sport tourer to
>own! I'll bet that in 2 years we'll see a Yamaha FJR-1300, a dialed in
>Aprilia Futura, prolly a new Honda ST, and who knows what other hot bikes.
>Triumph needs to stay current to stay competitive in the US market, brand
>name and loyalty alone won't help them grow their market share.

Agree with you here as well. There are going to be several changes /
additions to this category in the next couple of years.

- -Eric