Re: [ST] Cold weather questions

In reponse to the question about cold weather protection for the chin, I use
a Turtle Fur balaclava which seems to be hard to find. I got mine at a local
bike shop, but I'd bet www.campmor.com has them. It's a double layer of
man-made fiber fleece that covers the neck and chin, but has a thin layer of
stretchy nylon or Rayon type material to cover the scalp. This works great
because my Arai Quantum helmet fits very snugly (as it should!) around my
head, but the Turtle Fur (a brand name) lower part keeps me sheltered and is
absolutely impervious to penetrating cold winds, feels good, never itchy.

As for the electric load: I use a Gerbing full-sleeve Jacket liner and
gloves. I never popped a fuse, but with my RS, the location of the
Auxilliary Power Socket kept getting in the way, knocked out by myleft leg
going on & off the peg at stops. So, I hooked up the (Gerbing) supplied
connector, with carries an inline 15 amp fuse. No problem. Now if need be, I
can use the socket for a passenger, and the 955's 580 watt alternator easily
can handle the load of two fully dressed riders (with jacket liners, gloves,
pants, and socks, about 344 watts at full tilt, according to Gerbing.) Plus,
if I switch bikes with a rider using either of the two connectors, I'm
covered because I have both options on both me and my bike. I am sure to be
corrected if I'm wrong about the amp load though. hth

Ken M.
'00 RS