Re: [ST] And Dealers wonder why they are losing business to mail order?

hmmmmmmm.....

Always a debate - whether to support local dealer or go mail-order.

I'm a firm discipler of the "support-your-local-dealer" argument. I've been
doing business at one particular dealership (not a Triumph dealer) for the
past 10-15 yrs. They know me, I know them, and they will usually make an
effort to get close to what mail-order pricing is - at least close enough to
where I would do business with them. I don't look for 'em to match mail
order. I don't mind paying a bit extra to have an on-going working
relationship with 'em. They don't squeeze me and I don't squeeze them - they
know they will have all my repeat business, why gouge?
I get my money's worth. I don't have to stand in line on a saturday
afternoon for a tire change - I can show up and they'll drop what they're
doing to mount a tire on any wheel I bring 'em - even some tires (race
slicks) they didn't sell me. The shop manager, a certified Tig welder, will
gladly weld up anything I need fixing (has even come into his shop on a
saturday night after hours to fix a part - for free - so I can make a start
grid for a Sunday race). I can call 'em on the phone and they will get me
any part or accessory that I need or may want - without a deposit - and, if
I choose not to buy, will gladly return to mfgr without complaint.
This level of attention and service I can't get w/mail-order. I can't
begrudge anyone using mail-order since budgetary constraints may force
mail-order route, but it's something I avoid if at all possible.
I just like the human contact part......but then, I may be an extreme case -
I even avoid things like bank direct deposits and ATM's - would just rather
talk to a live face.

Charlie McCullough
tz250 WERA #90 Ex
Lotts Ducs