Re: [ST] Idle problem after refuelling and short journey

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Dan Wallander"

> In addition to other responses, the Sprints do not like to be turned off
> with the emergency stop switch.  You need to use the key to turn the
engine
> off.  Many of us have experienced occasional brain farts from the ECU
after
> using the emergency stop to turn the engine off.  Something to do with the
> ECU's need to record engine data after switch off which it can only do if
> you turn the engine off with the key.  Fortunately, rebooting is as easy
as
> turning the key off and on again.

Right about it not being a good idea to use the kill switch for anything but
an emergency, but I do not believe that turning the key off and on solves
this particular situation regarding the kill swiitch.  For that the ECU
actually has to sort things out on it's own by re-sampling certain sensors
and this it will do on it's own over time while you ride.  The problem
originally reported by Alliston is the only one that I know of that is fixed
instantly when you power off and then back on.  It's usually described as a
complete inability of the bike to idle, but you can keep it running if you
keep the rev's up.  I can also tell you from personal experience that it is
also possible to have the problem that Alliston reports even if you never
use the kill switch to power off  --  just wanted to make sure no one
assumes that misuse of the kill switch is the cause of that original
symptom.

Neil