[ST] Re: Warming up an engine

Gotta weigh in on this one.

The notion that a modern engine shouldn't be asked to move its
vehicle until warmed-up is unfounded.  Here's why:

Cold engine operation is the least efficient an engine will ever
be.  Why do we have fuel enrichment for cold running?  Without
going into specifics, because it takes more fuel to compensate
for this inefficiency.  And a great deal of the extra fuel isn't
completely combusted.  Where does that fuel go?  Some of it goes
out the exhaust.  No question this is bad for the environment but
it isn't particularly bad for the engine.  The proplem is that
some fuel also gets past the piston rings and washes the oil off
the cylinder walls.  Very harmful indeed.

So the way I see it, start your engine, put on your gloves, [or
your seatbelt if you're in the cage], do your operational checks
and ride/drive away, gently.  This puts the engine to work
[gently, remember] right away and shortens the warm-up period.
It also saves gas.

Rick in Oregon
'01 Sprint ST
"NO Dawg" - also ducking for cover