From: David Earl <dlearl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, November 06, 2001 6:25 PM
Subject: [ST] And Dealers wonder why they are losing business to mail

Had a little chat with the local shop that has been mounting my tires
(Mail Order) re:  this thread and how I'd really like to send the
business his way. With seven bikes I thought I might be in a good
bargaining position. He explained to me that he buys his tires at about
the same margin as we do through mail order and there is no way he can
possibly match their prices.  Apparently the real deals available to
Chaparrel. MAW, MCTires etc. is only in the 1000+unit orders. Obviously
no dealer can order a thousand tires at a time. He did offer to mount
and balance for free with a possible 10% discount on some tires. BTW,
his price on a 180/55-17...$249!  I just got a PAIR of the new D207RRs
for $299 installed.
So I thanked him and bought a 5 gal gas jug for my off road bike. BTW2,
his prices for MX tires are only 10% above the mail order companies.
I'll support him and my other local guys (in part by having them mount
my mail order tires) when I can, but on tires, they simply can't
compete.

David
'99ST

*