RE: [ST] Re: Warming up an engine

> Date: 7 Nov 2001 14:31:25 -0800
> From: "Rick & Joyce" <wescottr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> The notion that a modern engine shouldn't be asked to move its
> vehicle until warmed-up is unfounded.  Here's why:
> So the way I see it, start your engine, put on your gloves, [or
> your seatbelt if you're in the cage], do your operational checks
> and ride/drive away, gently.  This puts the engine to work
> [gently, remember] right away and shortens the warm-up period.
> It also saves gas.

Must say Rick, I'm confused by the double negative of the first para, and
the subsequent explanation/contradiction. So you ARE advocating a warm-up,
right?  ~:)

Aside from the chemical reasons for warming up, there's a more pertinent
mechanical reason:

Engines heat up during operation. Cold clearances are engineered between
moving bits of metal, so that they will be the correct size when hot. If you
load the engine when the clearances are largest (cold) the bits will be
slapping about all over the place (i.e. not as their designer intended).

I don't do a static warm-up (other than letting the revs die to 1,200), but
keep it lightly loaded and under 3,500 for the first 3 miles. I am convinced
this gives me longer engine life (and also gives me time to get the feel of
the bike again).

Regards,
- --
BRG