[ST] for sean - octane vs. mileage

   I REALLY don't want to go here, but....

 >> you do realize that raising the octane rating of your fuel
doesn't improve your mileage don't you??? .......<<

 >>> Waaaait just a minute.  Why not?  It certainly does make a
difference in my truck, although I haven't tried it in my bikes.
Better fuel economy makes sense, more energy from a given volume of
fuel means less fuel is required to make the same horse power as a
larger volume of lower octane. <<<

    Higher octane fuel burns at a slower rate than lower octane,...
therefore, an engine must be tuned RICHER to get the same performance
if higher octane fuel is used, if anything decreasing the mileage
obtained.  Higher octane is a requirement of higher COMPRESSION RATIO
and nothing more.

    Or so I'm told by a highly reputable source....

                                           doggydo   - - - o%\o