Re: [ST] Re: Warming up an engine

Not to belabor the discussion, what I forgot to add is simply that I
think a large number of people follow the same proceedure to a certain
extent. Well except for a couple of the squids I have seen a the
Saterday night squid fest. On gentlemen who has a Honda product will rev
the engine at about 9,000 rpm to get the engine up to temperature. The
again adds to the notion that I would not want to purcahse a used sport
bike. But I think we can agree that if putting on your gear includes
brushing your teath, that your letting it stand still too long.

How about the notion that letting an engine idle too long also damges
the engine?? Promote carbon build up? Do hot spots form in the engine
due to lower and warmer coolant? As we all know, most engines are the
dirtiest at idle.

In the owners manual of my car, there is a note, in relatively bold
print, that advises that waiting for the car to warm up is
not required, turn the key and go.

For those who care, I wish that NA would adopt the extra yellow that
many Euopean contries do. IIRC the yellow light will turn on again about
5 seconds before the light will turn green, thus allowing you to turn
off you engine at a longer light, then restart just before it turns
green. Of course far too many people would see the green and speed
up in stead of noticing that it was a stale red light.

Tom