Re: [ST] Idle problem after refuelling and short journey

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Keith Winter"

> Pasted below is a note the list received directly from Triumph in
> January of 2000 regarding this issue.  Regardless what makes sense to
> you, this is how the ECM operates at shutdown.
>
> -Keith
> '00 RS
>
> On 13 Nov 2001, at 20:33, Brian Michaud wrote:
>
> > Neil,
> >     Whoever told you this gibberish apparently the never traced the
> > electrical path via the schematic in the service manual. The signal that
> > travels from the ignition switch to the ECM goes through the kill switch
> > and the connector for the alarm before reaching the ECM. Furthermore the
> > ECM doesn't remember what you last had for sensor inputs. Why would it
> > care except for trouble codes. Does it matter that the last time the
> > engine was running its coolant was a certain value? Only if it generated
> > an error. If the kill switch could generate an error it would have been
> > caught when the original engineer conducted a FMEA (Failure Mode Effect
> > Analysis).
> >
> > Brian 99 ST
>

> > From:           Ross Clifford <ross.clifford@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > To:             "'ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > Subject:        Power down
> > Date sent:      Tue, 25 Jan 2000 08:30:31 -0000
> > Send reply to:  ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> >
> > Dear All,
> >
> > I have been reading with interest your recent tread on the power down
> > procedure in relation to using the ignition switch or the kill switch.
> >
> > The correct procedure is to use the ignition switch, the reason for this
> > is that there is a relay set in the ECM circuit when you turn off the
> > ignition the relay powers the ECM for a few seconds and takes readings
> > for the sensors around the engine such as throttle position, the air
> > bypass setting, crank position etc. This information or reference point
> > is used by the ECM when you next start your engine. Hence the reason the
> > manual tells you not to touch the throttle when starting as the ECM does
> > it all for you because it has all the sensor readings from when the
> > engine last idled prior to it being turned off by the ignition. Using
> > the kill switch cuts all power to the ECM and thus takes no readings,
> > the kill switch is really for emergencies only. Some of you may notice
> > that when you use the kill switch the next time you start the engine it
> > needs to crank over a few times before it will fire, This is because the
> > ECM has no reference points and is taking them while it's cranking. Also
> > some people say that the bike runs erratic for no reason, unless there
> > is a fault this is almost certainly down to using the kill switch and
> > the simple cure is to turn the engine off (With the ignition switch) for
> > a seconds then turn it on and hit the starter and let the ECM do the
> > rest for you.
> >
> > Hope that clarifies the question, best regards
> >
> > Ross

Keith,

Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you, thank-you.

I probably should have remembered the response we got from Ross (from
Triumph UK) and it would have been worth searching for (I though the
archives were down).  I actually think I got most of it right anyway.

The only part of Ross's description that I take issue with is that he is
suggesting that misuse of the kill switch is almost always the culprit.
Although it may one way to get those erratic running symptoms, it is
definitely not the only way.

Neil