Re: [ST] Chains

In your message regarding Re: [ST] Chains dated Wed, 14 Nov 2001 12:21:37
- -0800, Stuart Mumford said that ...

>SM-  Not to be nosey, but why do you want this information? I thought that chains
>SM-  were interchangeable and both of the brands you mention are good brands
>SM-  AFAIK...
>SM-  I don't think you can measure Triumph customer support by their failure to
>SM-  answer you a question which frankly seems like no concern of yours...
>SM-  I should think that if a manufacturer keeps vendor information private, it's
>SM-  up to them isn't it? Hey you don't like the chain, buy a different one. You
>SM-  don't like the bike, buy a different bike.
>SM-  This whole issue seems funny to me (not ha-ha funny)

1.  I asked the question in a perfectly civil manner and I tried to briefly
explain my reasons (below). I was not told the reason they could not divulge the
answer I was told very abruptly that they wouldn't and that was it!  Since I
have spent quite a lot of money on accessories (Triumph) and probably would,
before today, have purchased another ST in a year or so, this lady has, by her
attitude, not by failing to give me answer, prejudiced my opinion of Triumph
customer care.

2. I am in dispute with my service agent and dealer who, at the time of purchase
of my bike at 7.6K miles, fitted a new chain as part of the agreement.  They
fitted a 3rd party chain thus invalidating my Triumphcare warranty (Para 12 -
Failure to comply with the manufacturer?s service schedule schedules may
invalidate this Warranty.  All service work must be completed by a Triumph
Motorcycle Dealer, using only Triumph approved parts).

This chain only lasted 2.5K before it developed tight spots, however, they
wouldn't replace it until it was really bad at my 12K service 4 weeks ago.  Yet
again they replaced it with a 3rd party chain.  When I asked them why they had
put a 3rd party chain on it they said it was "because the OEM chain was a
Regina which wasn't as good as the O-ring chain they had put on".  Now this
chain, at *30 miles*, is showing tight spots >20mm of difference of movement
over the length of the chain when tested according to the owner's manual's
method.

I then found out that the OEM chain is a DID X-ring so I challenged them on
this - their argument then turns around to 'they replaced like with like'.  In
spite of the fact that they have in any case not fitted Triumph approved parts
I sought to find out if Triumph were using DID X-ring chains in November 2000
(when I purchased my bike) so that this would further weight (if it needed it)
that they should replace the current chain, which appears to be already
failing, with a DID X-ring.

This dealer, BTW, performed a 12K service which was not complete since they did
not change the fork oil in accordance with the schedule but neglected to tell
me that it wasn't part of *their* service.  In fairness to them, after some
persuading, they are now carrying out that part of the service within the cost
of what I have already paid for the service.

A bit convoluted, I know, but that's why I wanted to know when the DID chains
came in.  Sadly though, my first contact with the manufacturer of my bike has
not been good.  I am in business too and know just how much you have to rely on
your telephone reception staff to give a good image of your business.  I was
not left with a good image and, having been an ardent Triumphile (I even run
the Wales and SW ST riders web site) am now thinking that my next bike will not
be a Triumph.  So they have lost that sale, they have lost any future
recommendations from me too so all-in-all an uncivil reception has probably
cost them and my dealer a lot of money.

- --
Mike Bostock
http://www.toothfairy.co.uk/