Re: [ST] Battery Tender

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Ben Snyder"

> OK, I'm not familiar with the BMW-style plug, and just
> need clarification...it's not the same as the Triumph
> plug is it?
>
> I just imagine that there's no way the two would be
> compatible in any way....

Certain BMW motorcycles use THE SAME accessory socket as the Triumph Sprint
ST.  You need the male plug that goes into this socket and you can buy it
from a BMW dealer.  The Battery Tender has a standard SAE type trailer
connector on the end of its cable.  Thus you need an adapter of some sort.

As has been pointed out, Triumph sells an accessory adapter for the Optimate
charger, but we were talkiing about the Battery Tender, and I don't think
the Triumph/Optimate adapter (p/n A9930011 for the U.S.) will work without
replacement of the connector on one end (I could be wrong on this cause it's
hard to tell from the picture).  Besides, I'll bet the Triumph accessory is
overpriced.

So you could get the male plug from BMW or John Deere, and make up your own
adapter, or you could also buy a ready-made adapter for the Battery Tender
from Deltran (who apparently make the BT).  It would have to be ordered
separately, but I understand that it is reasonably priced at about $7 USD.

Neil

End of st-digest V2001 #700