Re: [ST] Warranties, Parts & Customer Service

In your message regarding Re: [ST] Warranties,  Parts & Customer Service
dated Mon, 19 Nov 2001 21:22:16 -0500, by way of
Message_Redirector@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx said that ...

> I just think it is absolutely ridiculous that you would consider changing
> manufacturers on the strength of one phone call.

That's your opinion - and not necessarily mine.

> I have found Triumph to be
> very helpful and courteous,

That was not my experience, unfortunately.

> I hope you find another brand that fits your
> needs.

My needs may be different to yours.  I have a bike as a 'big boys toy' now.  I
used to ride a bike as a necessity since it was my only means of transport, now
it is a luxury.  I too like my ST and have frequently sung its praises, I run
the Wales and SW Riders web site and mailing list, such is my enthusiasm.  My
decision to buy the ST was not based on performance statistics.  Much of the
decision rested on owning something British, idiosyncratic, and a conversation
generator as well as having the qualities I required - lots of torque, and
comfort for touring.  However, because it is a toy I have to balance my time
and finance against the level of enjoyment it provides.  It has always provided
me with considerable enjoyment and has served well for the limited demands I
have placed on it.  However, my experiences with the dealer/service agent has
started to irritate me and the response from the particularly obnoxious young
lady at Triumph has enhanced that irritation.  I do not need irritation with a
hobby - I get enough of that at work.  Therefore, whereas before I was content
to think I was able to rely on a well organised dealership/support network, I
now question that.  Likewise, before these series of incidents I would have
said that I would definitely buy another Triumph now I may look elsewhere,
particularly since other brands may give me a wider choice of dealerships which
may be more competitive, rather than the one I have at present which considers
that its position as the only Triumph dealer for miles around is a sinecure.

> I actually buy a bike because it is a good bike not because the
> receptionist had a bad or good day. It's your money and your mistake to
> spend it with someone else.

You are right, it is my money and I will spend it where it gives me the most
enjoyment and the least irritation.

- --
Mike Bostock
http://www.toothfairy.co.uk/