Exhaust noise - was Re: [ST] for STeve - new member

Tom Emberson wrote:

>> The Palomar thing is scary, but not surprising.  No offense to all y'all
>> Cali folks, but one thing I HATE about Cali is the self-serving,
egocentric
>> attitudes of so many out there.  "It's my mountian and I will cause
wrecks
>> and possibly death to motorcyclists" is a perfect example from the
article
>> above.  Here in Texas someone may step up to your face and offer to kick
>> your ass, but at least they are honest about it and it's a fair fight.
>
>I think the point is the noise, I hate to say it, but maybe it is time
>to start cutting down on the noise. From what I've read in
>motorcyclenews.com there are attempts inside the motorcycling community
>in Englend to reduce the noise from bikes there. Here in Dallas, there
>are some new bylaws either on the books or proposed in areas such as
>lower Greenville. Of course what is wrong with just enforcing the
>current laws, I don't know.
>
>As a previous owner of a 9r with a full system D&D, I saw some power
>gains with the derestricted exhaust, but I put the stock system back on
>because the noise was starting to get to me as well.
>
>I must admit, Harldleys with straight pipes, are starting to annoy me, I
>wonder if the owners think they are impressing people, in reality, most
>people including me are thinking, damn for 20 large you would think the
>bike would come with a muffler.

Having ridden in Germany, where police stand by popular biking roads with
decibel meters at weekends, I am amazed at the racket that seems to be
acceptable from bikes in the US.  I found it quite amusing to hear the noise
when I was at Daytona during Bike Week, but I can fully understand why
people would be fed up with the noise over a longer term.  I'd rather ride a
bike which doesn't irritate or alienate half the people I pass.

Mind you, even irritation from loud pipes isn't an excuse to spread diesel
on the road and see if you can kill someone.

(Yes, I admit it - I have a sport pipe on my ST - but it is the Triumph one,
which is not exactly raucous, and it has a Triumph logo on the side which
might just convince a police officer that it's standard equipment...)

Neil