[ST] Snapped Clutch Cable - Known Issue?

Yesterday, about 110 miles from home, my clutch cable snapped.  The little
"ball-thingie" (yes, that's a technical term) that holds the cable to the
hand-lever broke off during a downshift.  I was able to get the bike
stopped, and then got it going again down a hill and kicked it into gear.
I made it home with the help of the guys I was riding with.  They'd run
interference while I approached a stop sign, and I'd go through without
stopping.  I kept waiting to have to explain that one to a cop, but I made
it home without incident.  As long as you're matching revs to speed, the ST
tranny was really easy (easier than my Honda) to pop between gears.

Anyway, I spoke to the dealer this morning and apparently this is a known
Triumph issue with some Sprints.  He is replacing the cable under warranty
and I should have a new on by Wednesday.  However, he mentioned that he's
getting me the "new-type" of clutch cable, and that Triumph was aware of a
problem and had re-designed the cable to avoid it breaking.  He told me
that I was the 8th Sprint from his shop this season to have this problem,
but he had spoken to other dealers that were oblivious to this issue.

Has anyone else snapped a clutch cable lately?  Did your dealer mention
anything about a re-designed cable?  Just curious.

FYI - mine is a BRG 2001 Sprint ST, bought on June 1st, and has 9,700
miles.  That's a little early for anything like this to happen...and yes, I
did have him order me a spare...

Tad Gralewski   tad_gralewski@xxxxxxxx
01 Triumph Sprint ST - name t.b.d
95 ST1100 - STress-Reliever  STOC #1539
77 GS750 - The Blue Dolphin
93 CBR1000F - The Black Whale - R.I.P. (rebuild in progress)
http://members.home.com/tadgralewski
The best things in life that you find are
those things you never went looking for. - RTG