[ST] hard starting woes

Hello all.  I have had hot starting problems since i bought my ST .  I have
had it to the dealer twice for it, the last time just before my warranty
expired.  I thought a new battery had cured it.  Sunday night, after a 450
mile day, I stopped at a gas station at 9 pm to check my map as I was trying
to enter Chicago the back way to avoid the 80-94 interstate construction.
Just as the station closed for the night, I found my bike would not start.
To make a long story short, I tried to jump it with a car (not running of
course) and had finally found a tow truck (estimated bill of close to $500)
when one last stab found it starting.  It took 45 minutes for it to cool
enough to start.   This could have been a huge disaster as I had no idea
where I really was, there were no street lights, and it was cold.  I called
my dealer and put in a call to Jerry Parrish of triumph.  I feel  like it
should be taken care of under warranty as I have tried and tried to have it
fixed.  Any  information  would be greatly appreciated.  I have talked up
these bike to anyone who would listed but if I get stranded one more time it
will be history.  I got home at midnight with my composure greatly strained.
A sports tourer should be reliable .  Any help or ideas would be greatly
appreciated.  Every time it fails to start I am either in a really funky
neighborhood or it is on the side of the expressway.    thanks  johnc