Re: [ST] for Dennis - clutchless, not shiftless!

I often shift without using the clutch, both up & down. I don't know
that I have done it at RPMs higher than 5,000 or so, though. I think
that proper drive chain tension can be a factor in how well this is
done, too loose making it more difficult.
To upshift, apply slight upward pressure on the shift lever with your
foot and roll off the throttle just slightly to a neutral point, then
after it has shifted itself, get right back on the throttle. I find that
this can be done much quicker than with the clutch, such that you are
without an exhaust note for the briefest fraction of a second. Sounds
neat to get to top gear in less than 10 seconds shifting this way at
4,000 or so.
To downshift, apply downward pressure on the shift lever and blip the
throttle to simulate the position that you would hold for neutral
response if you were in the next lower gear, then roll off after the
shift has completed. With a little practice, this works very well, and
seems to generate less noise than shifting with the clutch, so I can't
really imagine that it is hard on the tranny. It is a constant mesh
tranny. I think the secret is to find the neutral point with the
throttle to unload the drive line. If you find a false neutral between
the taller gears when upshifting with the clutch, as I have on several
occasions, it is good to use the same technique to get back in gear; in
otherwords, don't just jam it in, but attempt to match the engine RPM to
the road speed for the next gear, then ease it back in. Try it, you'll
like it.

Regards,

Dennis in Scottsdale, AZ
'00 RS miss me Yellow