Re: [ST] dead speedo/wet signals

Bil Swartz wrote:

>Anyone have a speedometer stop working on them yet?  No needle movement,
>but lights and odometer/tripmeter displays are there, just not ticking.
>Dirty Dawg suggests ill mated gears at the pickup on the front wheel, but
>I though that all electronic?  The rubber was changed shortly before I
>bought it, but that was 2000 miles ago.
>
>It was about 3 hours into a 7 hour rainy ride that the speedo quit.  A
>couple of hours later, the turn signals quit.  No left/right, no four
>ways.  All fuses fine.  Must have dried out over night as they were ok the
>next day.

I believe the speedo is driven by a Hall effect sensor - a magnetic sensor
which sits on the front wheel hub and generates electronic pulses.  The
pulses run up the cable to a connector on the back of the speedo.  If the
odometer/tripmeter display is still OK then the connector is still getting
power to the speedo, so it could be water getting into the sensor end of the
cable and drowning the pulses.  As for the turn signals, that could be a
loose or wet relay - I think that's inside the cockpit fairing on the right
hand side, take the right hand side fairing off and you should be able to
see it.

Neil