[ST] Re: dead speedo/wet signals

Bil,

Speedo:
Have to agree with 'Dirty Dawg' here.  I had the same experience after
swapping the OE BT57's for D205's at about 600 miles.

The speedo drive at the front wheel, be it a mechanical or an electronic
speedo, is mechanically driven.  When reinstalling the front wheel, it's
very easy to miss getting the drive tangs engaged into the slots in the
speedo drive's hub.  When that happens, the tangs are bent inwards but press
against the hub, so the the speedo will still work. . . for a time.  In both
our cases, riding in the rain provided the necessary lubrication for the
plastic surface of the hub to start slipping accross the tangs.  This
creates heat, warming the plastic, making it softer. . . and softer, until
the resulting groove in the hub is of a dimension that the hub no longer
rotates.  Voila!  No speedo.  I recall getting a whif of hot plastic not too
long before mine quit.

Chances are you can remove the front wheel, bend the tangs back out so they
engage in the hub, and you should be back in business.  While you have the
wheel off, suggest you pack a little synthetic grease between the lips of
the wheel seals.  This will keep them from running dry & building up heat,
causing seal wear which can also damage the outer circumference of the (too
soft) speedo drive.  Speedo drive replacement if required, will likely
require the removal of the fairing nosepiece to make the electrical
connection---not a fun job!  I'd also be speaking to the last person who had
the front wheel off.  In my case, unfortunately, that would be me :o|.

Wet Signals:
Sounds like you have some wet switch gear.  Time for a squirt of a water
dispersal agent like WD40.

Rick in Oregon
'01 Sprint ST - I rode it (mostly pain-free !) yesterday for the first time
in a
month.
'No Dawg' - student in the school of hard knocks