Re: [ST] Brokerage fee for Out of Country Purchase?

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Scott" <98-VFR800@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Tex Cycle List" <TexCycle@xxxxxxxxxxx>; "VFR Digest list"
<vfr-digest@xxxxxxxxxxx>; "Post to ST list" <ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: October 18, 2001 11:23 PM
Subject: [ST] Brokerage fee for Out of Country Purchase?

> Howdy,
>
> Back in July I bought a set of the OEM Canadian Blue plastic
> for my 98 VFR 800 from Extreme Honda in Canada. During the
> negotiations, all I was ever told was that I'd be charged for the
> plastic and the shipping. Seems pretty straight forward.
> Today I got a call from someone claiming to be with a Brokerage
> firm. They claim that anything bought outside the US has to come
> through customs. No argument there. BUT, they also claim that because I
> was not there to take receipt of the goods, they stood in my place in
> order to get the goods through Customs. Therefore, either myself of
> Extreme Honda is responsible for their brokerage fee. Here I am nearly
> four and a half months after the purchase and now I find out about
> this? What gives here?
> Is this legit? Should I be required to pay for a service I
> never bargained for from the beginning? The person I spoke with claims
> that the responsibility to pay the fee is based on the agreement
> between the shipper and customer. I never made any such agreement. I
> seriously doubt the Dealer will want to pay for this. Any clues or
> ideas?
>
> Adios,

I agree that you should have been informed up front, but I thought the
reason you don't have any choice in the matter is that the item you import
has GST payable, and this is the government's way of making sure that it
gets paid.  I also agree that you should also have the option of picking it
up in person to avoid brokerage fees, but this way it's more difficult to do
an end-run around the good 'ole Revenue Canada (which is now teamed up with
Canada Customs as the CCRA).

Neil