[ST] Mystery of the "vanishing" peg scrapes

It was an absolute beautiful day in the Pacific Northwest yesterday. Drizzly
'n ugly today, but the snow level is lowering. <sigh> So bitter sweet.
Anyway, I took the opportunity to take another ride around my favorite
mountain, Mt. St. Helens.

I want everyone to know that the discussions on vanishing points, entry
lines, turn-ins, and safety really came together for me yesterday. On
previous rides on these same roads, I was scaping pegs quite often. I wasn't
riding out of control, but I knew I could be doing better and have even more
control/safety.

Yesterday, I decided to really watch that vanishing point. Someone posted
earlier that your speed should never be above that which would allow you to
comfortably stop should an obstacle appear at the VP. This explanation
really made sense to me, and I hadn't heard it like that before. Well,
everything else magically popped into place: the line, the quick turn in,
the nice hang-off with the knee NOT plastered uselessly to the fairing. And,
not ONE peg scraped. I tell ya, the fun factor went through the roof! My
entry speeds were probably a bit lower than before, but who cares? More
control/safety plus a higher fun factor equalls a win in my book.

Now I plan on getting to those superbike schools to erradicate the rest of
my bad habits.

- -Chris "Snow Dawg" Strizver