Re: [ST] Is it time for boot chat yet?

Steve Lawler wrote:

> I am looking for a new pair of riding boots and I know that this group
> could make a few suggestions.

Steve,

 I just went through the boot buying shuffle and evaluated a bunch of
boots, this is how it went.
I started with the September issue of Rider Magazine, the article is
called "These Boots Are Made for Riding". They did a 21 boot
comprehensive evaluation, and included all the criteria that you have
set. The article is about 8 pages long. You should be able to find this
issue at the Library, If not let me know and I can copy the article at
work and fax it to you, if you have a fax number.  The price range is
from $92.00 to $289.95, quite a wide range.  I selected 7 boots from
that article and went out to test them all myself. What I found was that
the testers review and opinions were right on the money. I almost bought
the Sidi Strada but felt that the sole was too stiff to spend much time
walking around in. They were $200.00 They were very comfortable
otherwise and met all the other requirements that you stated, and that I
was also looking for.

 This is what I wound up with. I was at a BMW shop in Salem Oregon (land
of rain) and found a pair of boots call Kochmann Boots. They have a
SympaTex liner ( my feet have yet to get wet) it is like Gore-tex, shin,
ankle(both sides), heel and shifter protection. They also have a great
non slip sole that I have not been able to make slip on any surface, be
it sand, gravel, or oil on blacktop. I am short so traction was very
important to me. They also have a retro-reflective piping around the
back of the heel of each black boot. What I liked most about these boots
is that they feel like house slippers, even though they have allot of
protection. I have about 1,000 mi on these boots now and I love them.
The worse thing I can say about them is that they can be a little on the
warm side. I wear good wicking socks and have no problem, and they an
not so warm as to be uncomfortable. The other good part was the price
$180.00 and I would have paid more. I don't scrimp on safety or comfort.
The boots do have zippers but I have not had any problem with them at
all.

 I hope this helps, and am glad that you came out ok with your close
encounter of the pavement kind.

Ride Safe
Paul Reyes
99 ST Blk