[ST] Chain life question...

This is probably stunningly basic for most people on the list, so please
excuse my ignorance - it is over 20 years since I last had a chain drive
bike, and the technology has changed just a little since then...

How do you know when you chain is worn out?  It hasn't stretched very much
in 12k miles (apart from initially) and has only needed adjustment about
four times.  It gets oiled regularly with chain wax.  The central roller
feels loose, but I can't "pick up" a link off the sprocket, which used to be
a guide way back when.  The sprocket is only very very slightly worn.

Other than the slack in the roller, and it's 12k miles, there seems to be
nothing to say it is dead, but I don't want to keep using if there is some
magic way of knowing that it is shot.

Any help would be very welcome!

Alex