[ST] Chain life +

Thanks to everyone for their comments re chain life, cleaning & replacing
etc.

Thanks, that is, to everyone except Keith who seems to be an endless source
of bad news - first the dead belt issue, then decrying the chain enclosure!
Seriously, thanks Keith - I'd been told about heat generation in chains long
ago, but my highly  selective memory was in action again, so you probably
saved me quite a lost of wasted money on the Protector thingy if I'd ever
found one, plus the hassle and expense of and extra chain/sprockets set.

At least I don't have to go back to the old days of boiling the damn things
in oil (LinkLye, was it?) and dripping all the way back to the garage,
catching merry hell and christmas shit from just about everyone...

While the toothbrush and water or whatever may work well, I've been using a
thing called a Chain Scrubber (please don't say a word, Keith!) which comes
with some oil based detergent which is supposed to clean off the crud
without getting past the 'O'-ring and washing out the grease, and then using
Chain Wax (frequently - oh alright, once per ride no matter if it is 100
miles, or 900).  The local shop uses a Honda contact cleaner to clean the
chain, then applies a chain was or chain grease (whichever the customer
prefers).

The Chain Scrubber does a nice job of cleaning the chain (and it is easy)
but I don't know if it is really good for the chain or not.  Now you can
speak up, Keith!

Alex