RE: [ST] Opinions Wanted - call State Farm or not?

Paul,

Sorry to hear about your gravity storm.

I was making a left turn out of a parking lot (a gravel lot, btw). The
pavement was dry.  The only thing I can think of is that perhaps the rear
tire caught one of those little reflector bumps that is used to divide the
lanes of traffic in the middle of the road, and when the rear tire
reconnected with the road it did so in a smooth, worn section of pavement
(the center of the lane is very worn/smooth, unlike the sides) perhaps
catching the tire outside of the wear patch, lost traction and went down on
it's left side
I come out of a dirt parking lot at work onto newer pavement and find myself
slipping around occasionally.  Dirt on a cold tire and the pavement striping
often gives me a bit of a slip.  Add in a reflector bump and that might be
enough to put you down

Damage I could see:
Left mirror - was bent and the boot is detached and scuffed.
$70
Left handle bar - the end capped was ripped off, the grip end scraped, and
the bar bent.
$150-200?
Left fork - the bottom is pretty badly scraped up.
$100?
Left pannier outer panel - very badly scraped.
$150?
Lower left body panel - badly cracked as well as scratched
$150?
Upper left body panel - scrached bad in one spot
$370
Rear tire - the outer left edge is scrapped up.
$150

Plus miscellaneous brackets.  Ball park for parts mentioned is around
$1200.00.  If your foot pegs are damaged add $100 each.  If you shift
linkage is damaged add in another $100.  Add in labor (your time is worth
something too) and that $250 deductible is looking pretty good IMO.  You
might save some by repairing some of the panels, others on the list have had
this done successfully.

I went down on my ST (rear-ended by hit and run driver at 35MPH) which
caused about $1300 of parts damage.  My deductible was $500 and I decided to
repair the damage myself.  A great deal of my decision to not claim the
insurance was based on a decision at that point to keep the bike.  If you
are planning on selling the bike any time soon, you might want the damage
professionally repaired.  A single scuff is going to tell an observant buyer
that your ride has been down.  Of course, if you have the money, expertise
and the time, there is no reason that you could not do the same for
yourself.

Hope you get her shining again soon.  Glad you weren't injured.

Dan (Hungry Dawg) Wallander
'99ST