Re: [ST] Cable Breakage

>  Why would you want to line the pockets of a shop when they do not
> provide you with the best service possible for your bike? I must admit
> that I once also had the same frame of mind. Then I realized that it was
> far better to pay a little more for my bike to get top notch service
> from a top notch shop. If a shop is selling a bike for less than the
> rest of the shops in your area, what do you think they are paying their
> mechanics? Do you think they are even qualified to work on your pride
> and joy? Do you know what they call the last person that graduated from
> Motorcycle Mechanic School? Motorcycle Mechanic, even if they can hardly
> turn a wrench. Allot of those guys only know how to change parts out and
> could not trouble shoot there way out of a corner. That trouble shooting
> part and experience is worth the price of admission. Maybe if we did not
> spend our money at those shops they would just go away like a bad dream.
>
> The shop I deal with here in Portland Oregon will bend over backwards to
> make sure you are taken care of, I will gladly pay more up front because
> I know that I will receive allot more in service after I ride away from
> the sale. They treat you like your the most important customer they
> have. After all what do you have left after the new smell wares off, and
> your clutch cable brakes or you have a premature dead battery. Or worse
> when you get your bike back and you have 15 new problems to replace the
> 2 you took it in for in the first place.

Paul, I have to say I agree with you.  I'm willing to pay more upfront
to get an even better deal later.  I'm learning now how much a good
mechanic and shop is worth, as the one we frequented is no longer
there.  I trusted my mechanic thoroughly!!  He wasn't perfect (who is),
but he sure gave it his all!!  Now I'm looking again, and I'll probably
have to drive 80 miles for service, as the shop closest to us (approx.
30 miles away) certainly does not pay attention to details.  If they
loose a valve stem cover, and don't replace it, or loose and don't
replace a fairing screw, what else are they missing INSIDE my bike????
This would not have happened at my old dealership . . . . I don't mind
driving to get good service and I know there are folks on this list that
drive further.  Whoever gives me the best service, will get my next
purchase (probably 2 Tigers in 2002-2003).  If they're a good shop, odds
are great that their purchase deal will be a good, all-around deal--a
fair deal--but probably not the "cheapest" deal.  Sometimes you get
exactly what you pay for . . . . .

Lisa