[ST] RE: st-digest V2001 #535

Mal Wrote:

>Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2001 17:23:54 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Mal Stainkey <artmgs@xxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: [ST] Pipe upgrade.

>> Why would you want it loud as a Harley with blooey
>> tubes?

>I like that sound, please don't hate me :)

>bye for now
>        Mal
>        artmgs@xxxxxxxxx

Hi Mal,
Yes, I have heard a Speed Trip at one of our RAT outings with a really
*loud* pipe made by Vortex in South Africa (I'm pretty sure it's a local
company and I don't know if they export). I was not at all impressed with
the sound at idle as it sounded to "in-your-face" even for my liking. I was
later passed by the same bike at WOT, and it sounded like a V8 racer (you
call NASCAR). I have heard a lot of 4 cyl. Jap bikes with loud pipes but the
triple was way different and much more intimidating. Didn't know a sub 1
liter bike can generate so much sound.
As we have little legal restriction (that's enforced anyway) with regard to
noise emanating from your bike's zorst, here in South Africa, It's not
uncommon to hear *loud* bikes all the time. The Triple with the Vortex pipe
was one of the better sounding ones. Just a word of Caution: IT IS LOUD!
even at idle.

PS. Vortex, as far as I know don't invest too much in R&D, they basically
just built straight through pipes with varying inside diameters (and the odd
Yoshi clone for popular models).

Regards
Gerrit Herbst
'01 Yellow RS