Re: [ST] Darwin's Cornering clearances

>I discussed this situation with a local Triumph-Aprilia-Ducati dealer who
>also races Superbikes in the CRA and occasionally AMA. He's had every bike
>in his stable on the track, and he said the only way you took the RS on the
>track and didn't drag hard parts like a fiend was if you were riding like
>an old lady. I agreed that was probably the case.

Yeah... that must be it... I must be an old woman.  That explains the
penchant I have for clipping coupons -- it's all coming back to me now.  My
name is Gertrude and I was born in 1921.  What the hell was I doing on that
track turning 1.75s???  They are going to put me in a home!

Given the ridiculousness of your (and his) conclusions, I have my doubts
that either of you have a lick of training, or perhaps you have and it is
the "learning" part you have trouble with. Hanging-off would certainly keep
the RS from touching anything down, as that is the sole purpose of the act,
unless you are posing for pictures, of course.

And if you can turn a bike in quick (something I learned from Mr.. Code's
class), the less lean angle you will need for a given turn.  Thus, even
while planted in my seat, I was able to handle turn 2 at SIR at various
entry speeds of 70 to 90 mph -- you know, being an old lady I can't get a
knee down so I have to sit on the cushion.

Don't forget to wash behind your ears, sonny!

>--
Peckham

2000 Sprint RS
2000 Suzuki SV650