[ST] Re: mortality, dings, Vixen

As a bunch of you may know from the magpie list, Tony Angco was killed a
week ago while riding in the Santa Monica mountains...he was a very good
friend, a true curmudgeon and one of the best riders I ever knew...

...coroner's report apparently stated that he died of cardiac arrest
following head trauma...

...other riders stated that he simply rode off the road at a curve, with
no effort to turn or brake. Unfortunately, there were two large boulders in
his path instead of a privet hedge. Tony was massively overweight (~280 -
300lp on a 5'-6" frame), diabetic, and had a number of other health
conditions that would have grounded him if he'd been a pilot. My personal
guess is that he had some kind of blackout/seizure/etc. and this led to the
tragedy.

There's a moral to the story...you don't have to be an Olympic athlete to
ride, but there is a certain baseline of health that you need to maintain.
The LABiker crew (www.labiker.com) will be doing a major blood drive on
October 12 in his memory.

On to better stuff...

...I've had wheel dings repaired successfully (on the Speed Triple, had
almost exactly the same incident as barry ... rocks, oops!!), but there is
apparently a very definite line between repairable and non. Have someone
who does bike wheels for a living look at it and ask them to be
conservative.

Vixen is almost back together, waiting for the Ohlins and Blue Fame
can...should be next week. Racetech, repaired bodywork so far...